Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chapter 18 Belize City



Time: February 11-13
Place: Belize City, Belize



"Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime."- Aristotle 




The poverty of the world’s 3rd most violent city is severe. It is as bad as I have seen almost anywhere on the planet. Your eyes hunger to rest on something beautiful, something clean, a building well built, a wall well painted. But Belize city’s attraction is not to be found in building or beach, its in its people. Raw, unscripted human kindness flows through the streets by day, even as blood runs at night. They are you and I. Humans. Our global family who struggle daily to eat and survive. And despite the filth and dysfunction, the murder and the mayhem,  laughter and good nature thrive in the warm, well watered fields of compassionate mankind. 

In Dakar, Senegal I was assaulted with unwarranted attention like a bleeding fish swimming and flailing in Shark Alley…… -Beggars, Salesmen, Addicts, Touts…..


But here, although white, I seem to pass through like a ghost. 











Forget the glossy travel brochures. This is the real Belize.





















I took this one for our former project manager James L. 
I wonder if he is following the blog.








If I ever get out of my size 36 Jeans, Ill throw them over this wire as well.








The light house of Belize City.