Friday, June 10, 2016

Chapter 22 Blood, Sweat and Beers


"Is this not Babylon I have built with my own hands?"  -King Nebuchadnezzar


Time covered:  January 1 to June 8
Place:  Ikes Restaurant, Bloomington, Minnesota


Paul, Mike and I slogged away for 5 months on the complete demolition of the old Blue Point Restaurant and the building of the new Ike's, owned by Bloomington Mayor Gene Winstead and Billy Morris.

It was a massive amount of work made all the more complicated by Alan Plutowskis iconic coffered ceilings and detailed columns.

Below, just a few photos.


THE BLOOD
My drill is literally sticky with hemoglobin. Most people fail to grasp what we put out as builders.



The Mexican sheet rocker takes a hit for the crew. I play nurse.







 I had two dumpster fires in one week from smokers throwing their cigarettes in them. 
The sign I put up to no avail smolders during the second fire.








The Bloomington Fire Department make an appearance.













The Sweat


We start into the framing stage. The front walls on the left are framed as is the bar out of fire treated  Dricon plywood.

The bar is shown here with struts to keep it straight.

Paul works on the intricate coffered ceilings, a real trade mark of the Plutowski architectural firm.

The cooking vent hood is hung on the right. 




The Beers





Gene and his girls did a great job of decorating and pinning scores of pictures on the walls. It creates a very warm cozy atmosphere with the mustard colored walls.




 One of the first views one has upon entering is the beer taps and this iconic shot of Marylyn Monroe.






Shaggy (left) and Gerge (right)




Mike and Paul built this gorgeous facade in our shop. 




A quick I-phone shot of head chef Andy during the final stages of construction. 




Patrons at the bar. The upper cabinets running down the spine of the bar are not yet installed. 
Notice Horsey on the left hand side. I forgot him and had to have my taxi driver go back for him.





My Korean taxi cab driver.