Sunday, June 26, 2016

Chapter 30 Market Day

"People are strange, when you're a stranger. Faces look ugly, when you're alone."
Jim Morrison, The Doors




Place:  Market in Omo Valley, Ethiopia
Time:  Ive lost track....

My guide Lalo took me out for the day to see the market where many tribes come to buy and sell. 
A few shots...




 Huggy  Bear from "Starskey and Hutch"?







A tree is a nice shady area to conduct business













The shots unfold. At first she is told that this white man wants to take her picture. She is initially terrified.







The terror turns to laughter after she realises she has been picked out of the crowd to be photographed.






The final photograph.







The woman came out of her mud hut because she wanted to be photographed. She must have had good experiences with whites in the past.





The african way of dress is the most colourful I have seen on the planet.






Africans doing what they do best...."jus hangin out man..."






This man is drinking a brown sludge, the African version of beer. I don't dare tell him about the creamy goodness of Blue Moon beer.....I would wreck him for life...






The market slowly is built up as the rains stop.





The market starts







The blacksmith will make you what you need....like an oblong, funny cigar shaped thing that you can use for.........whenever you need an oblong, funny cigar shaped thing.














I wonder whats cooking in the pot? Hopefully not the last white man with a camera to visit the market.





Lao offers me a banana. Ethiopia has the best bananas I have eaten anywhere. They are sweet as if sugared.







Lalo took this photo. Im getting my stuff together. You can see Ive gathered a crowd...as always.



































Drinking home made brew. My god man could I kill a Blue Moon right now!!!





The locals out the jeep window. This is what happens when you stand still for 5 seconds in rural Africa. The locals will crowd around and watch you all day as if you were the finals in world cup soccer.








Lao takes a photo of me with my disciples. 
They say that photography makes you look 40 pounds heavier than you really are....yes, yes....
it must be so...who am I to argue with the experts???