Thursday, June 9, 2016

Chapter 20 Calculating loses

"Everyone is a stranger until they are a friend"-  Denise,  Belize City




I returned from Belize and Guatemala  to find that my Canon 7d had suffered a double computer chip malfunction. The lost photo opportunities were too painful to contemplate. 
Soaring Mayan pyramids tangled in jungle vines under the steamy starlight. A spindly black tarantula scurrying across the dirt., his hair bristly and sharp.  A Fer de Lance viper, the most deadly in Central America, nearly stepped on by our Mayan guide, and the countless faces of the locals that I love to photograph. 

I developed what I had on my card before my camera died and had the following.





Benson
Ive never seen him not high. He lives on smoke and.....yeah pretty much just smoke....


Its number three...
three I said
...the gate to the Sea Side Guest House

Lion of the George street gang shows us his bullet entry wound.
Belize city is the third most violent city on the planet.

Melvin

Melvin can't really fly but you would think he can
when you see his incredible photography. 

Melvins girlfriend....sorta.....
its a long story....
sorta......
She lies on one of the canons of Belize City



The phone rang. It was Mitch, the owner of the Sea Side Guest house in Belize City, calling to say he got my package and how wonderful it was to spend time together. Most days we would wake and sit at the breakfast table and drink beer. I would watch him smoke and alternate between inhaling and laughing exhalation. 
Certain people leave an impression. They get into you like a tattoo needle and you feel as if you are forever altered. inked by their character. Mitch, Melvin, Adelma and even that stoner Benson left me with only longing to return. 
I would return one day........yeah...Ive decided it........
I will.....