Sunday, July 3, 2016

Chapter 36 Remembering Barry

"You'll have to vary your photographic diet a lot more for my tastes."-  Barry Denham

Place:  Around the Omo Valley

Time:  Mid June



Barry gave me a tongue lashing in West Africa when we traveled together and rightfully so.
He saw that all my photography was people and not much more of anything else.
Indeed, as a photographer, what I love most is the human face. What I love most is people.
But all people and no landscape make Jack a dull boy.

I thought about Barry often while I traveled. I missed him. I wished he was with me to see all the exotic tribes. It seemed not right being in Africa with out him. But one thing that was with me the whole time were his words....to "mix up my photography and try shooting other things....."

....so.....for the sake of Barry I made Lalo pull over periodically and allow me to take a few quick shots of trees.

Trees.....JRR Tolkien loved them...and as a carpenter, I love them too. You will not find more interesting trees anywhere on the planet than in Africa. Here are a few brief shots I took while thinking of Barry.



A lop sided Acacia tree







Not exactly a tree, but an intoxicating plant, Chat, that the locals chew and get high on.