Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Chapter 46 Back alley Bruce Lees

Place:  Back in Harar, Ethiopia on my return route to Addis Ababa.

Time: July 14-16, 2016

Having to back track, I found myself once again in Harar with a bit of time to kill until the next available bus back to Addis Ababa, where I would fly out to continue my adventure in Doha, Qatar in the Persian Gulf.

I was getting seriously burned out on photography, but managed a couple solid days of shooting either way.




This is a video I shot with my buddy Abeti. You will see he is trying not to laugh and wreck the video but he can't contain himself. We eventually climbed into a Tuk-Tuk and the driver gets stuck between a truck and sacks of produce. Eventually, typical African chaos ensues and everyone is giving advice and direction. We eventually get free and motor down the main street of the old city of Harar.



I can't even tell you how impressed I was by these girls. They spoke great english, had incredible personalities and were so mature for their age. It left me speechless. They must have some amazing parents.







This kid is a natural. Look for him on "Jerry Springer" Africa version.



























I was photographing Harari doors when this guy saw me through the door crack and beckoned me in. He is absolutely wiped out from chewing Chat, an intoxicating plant.








This guy, Solomon, approached me on the street and told me he had seen me on Television last night.
"You are famous all through Ethiopia now" he told me. Indeed. I had been interviewed  television the night before during an Islamic celebration at the end of Ramadan. He will try to send me a link to my interview.  Solomon and I hung out for the morning together.





As soon as I raised my camera, all the kids broke out into immaculate KUNG-FU. Clearly I was no match for these Black Bruce Lees of the Back Alleys of Harar.!!!
What is that telephone number for the Harari Police again?










I faced my own death with quiet ,calm resolve.







Outside the city gates of old Harar, seen barely visible at the very top. I don't think I have been anywhere more colourful than this 4th most Holy City in Islam.











"Surprise" your girlfriend and take her here to pick out her wedding ring. She'll never forget the occasion.









Solomon gets photo bombed by a goat. (Solomon is on the right)



















My worst haircut Ever was in Cape Coast Ghana by a guy who repaired shoes AND cut hair. The correction haircut took place one week later in Accra, Ghana which was equally bad. I just finally had to have it shaved off.



















I love cats, kids and blacks. This photo works for me on all levels.










































































A valuable insight into Ethiopia